Part 2 – Cheers!
Have you seen the new Applebee’s ads that use old TV theme songs?
Last night I wrote about ‘Welcome Back.’
Tonight, “Cheers – Where Everybody knows your name.”
The picture to the left shows the cast for seasons 1 -3: At the top – Shelley Long and Ted Danson. Rhea Perlman, and Nicholas Colasanto are in the middle. George Wendt and John Ratzenberger finish out the bottom row.
The one on the right is the cast starting in season 6. Starting at the top, from left to right, are Rhea Perlman, Woody Harrelson, Kelsey Grammer, and Bebe Neuwirth. The bottom row includes George Wendt, Kirstie Alley, Ted Danson, and John Ratzenberger.
The show started in 1982 when I was a brand-new teacher, and it ended in 1993. By then I had been teaching for 11 years. I was also married and had 3 kids – 6, 4, and 1. Life was busy, but the theme song stuck with me, all these years later. It reminds me of my life as a young adult. Cheers!
The Cheers theme song ‘Where Everybody Knows Your Name’ only reached #83 on Billboard’s top 100, not #1, like Welcome Back. But, ‘Name’ still has a great back story, and here it is . . .
In the spring of 1982, the producers of Cheers, Glen and Les Charles, heard a song they loved, but it was already legally tied to a musical. The brothers asked the songwriting team to try writing another, just for Cheers. They tried two different songs . . . but Gary Poytnoy and Judy Hart Angelo failed, but they didn’t give up. Their 4th try succeeded, and the rest is history!
Would you like to hear the Cheers theme song? Click on this link for Applebee’s: 2021 Applebee’s Commercial Songs – TV Advert Music
Find the image to the left. Click the one that says ‘Cheers’ and you’ll hear the original theme song. Now, let’s do lunch at Applebee’s!
- Restaurant image - By Michael Rivera - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0,https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=40559229
- Cheers logo - By Source, Fair use,
- Original cast - By Paramount Pictures - Original publication: Published to print sources in 1983 Immediate source: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEERS-ORIGINAL-TV-PHOTO-CAST-PORTRAIT-1983-/110717709523pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c74a2cd3, Fair use,
- 2nd cast picture - By NBC / Paramount Television - Original publication: Non-primary media in circa 1991Immediate http://screencrave.com/2011-05-16/tvs-best-series-finales-comedy/, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=36031890
- Cheers - Wikipedia
- Where Everybody Knows Your Name - Wikipedia
- 2021 Applebee’s Commercial Songs – TV Advert Music
All of this reminds me of the Day that the 9-11 were due to deaths due too Jetliners from a certain Country. I believe it was Les Charles who had Died. It was very Frightening to be Sure. Neil Young wrote a Song about the Dastardly songs of Death. I'll never forget that Day of Hell.
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
When I write, I can only have one voice in my head, mine. A little noise is fine. But too much, or worse yet, WORDS, and I must change rooms or pull out headphones. Then I can write on!