Part 1 – My Word Power Past: This is the 3rd year that I’ve taken the 12 days of Christmas class with Julie Hedlund from 12x12 fame. I think I joined the group that year too. I’m not going to write about the 12 Days of Christmas 2020, because, duh! We’re almost halfway through the year.
This is a screenshot of this year’s Word Power, 2021.
Part 2 – Keep Us Going: When I put my 1st poster together, I had 3 things to keep going. They form the foundation for my writing.
1) I’ve been with 12 x 12 since 2018. It’s a writer’s group. I take a class once a month. They focus on writers’ craft and the pathway to publication.
2) I’ve been active on rindabeach.com since November of 2016. I have a HUGE vault of posts and book reviews. You can find them all on my Pinterest boards.
3) I joined The Writing Magic Membership group in 2018. It’s a group of writers who have become my friends. I submit a story or chapter each week for feedback, and I usually read 5 or 6 in return. I’ve grown because of what they tell me about my work, and because of what I’ve learned from theirs.
4) I started learning about marketing when I published NEIL ARMSTRONGS’ WIND TUNNEL DREAM and LAKE FUN FOR YOU AND ME. BiblioKid Publishing taught me about book launches for ZOE’S SCAVENGER HUNT FUN, but there’s more to learn about the book business. In May I found a new mentor, Yong Prang. I’m looking forward to growing my learning curve, with a little help from my new friend.
5) With Pinterest, I’m seeing success! I had 1.5K impressions last month. That’s up 78%. WAAHOO! Those SEO words in my new posts are working. This summer – I’m going back and adding them into my old content. I have a lot of work to do!
6) I’m making steady progress on the great agent challenge. My 1st manuscript is ready. The 2nd is almost there. #3 is close behind, and #4 has grown, but has the furthest to go. I promise – I won’t stop polishing until they’re all done!
7) I finished Callie’s class. I stored the zoo story in my computer, and the ants are on the march again. I just finished chapter 6. Here’s to going all the way to the end, chapter 30.
Part 3 – What’s New in 2021? – I got the news this morning – my 2nd manuscript is agent-ready. WAHOO! Onto #3!
Here are the 4 new stories I want to write someday, but it’s not time yet. I revised one for Vivian Kirkfield’s 50-word contest. I didn’t win, but the story got better, AND, I have an idea for how I can combine those 50 words with my ultrasound idea. I can’t wait to get back to it, but first – I need to polish 2 more manuscripts.
PS – I also have an idea for how to get into the story about Mary and Martha, but that’s later, after my 1st draft of the baby story.
I had these ideas down last year – level my blogs, set up an account in Teachers Pay Teachers, and start a private Facebook group. They’re still waiting, but my last addition isn’t – to learn how to use audio/video. That was one of the reasons I decided to work with Yong Prang – it’s one of her strengths.
Guess what? I’ve recorded 3 videos for her Super 7 class. They’re not super, but I gave it a try, and the third one’s better than the 1st. Now, only 4 more to go! I wonder . . . can I get even better?!
My Conclusions - I’m glad I’m juggling so many things. It means I’ve grown as a writer, as an entrepreneur!
There are 3 things that I want to focus on this summer. 1) polishing those last 2 manuscripts for the Great Agent Challenge. 2) Revise my ant story all the way to the end, Chapter 30. 3) Learn how to use audio and video. 4) Update my Pinterest boards with SEO words.
Then, if there’s time, I’d love to write 2 new stories. Fingers crossed!
When I write, I can only have one voice in my head, mine. A little noise is fine. But too much, or worse yet, WORDS, and I must change rooms or pull out headphones. Then I can write on!