I Want a Dog: My Opinion Essay
Written by Darcy Pattison
Illustrated by Ewa ONeal
Ages: 6 – 12
Grade level: K – 6
Darcy pulled this up on her tablet at her weekend retreat, and I knew I’d found My Reads this week. I wish I were still teaching…I would SO buy this book! It’s the perfect tool to teach opinion essays. It models the process for young writers, and, through a real story. Cousins Dennis and Mellie get to choose the dog breed that’s fits each family. Dennis discovers he has to write an opinion essay using criteria as evidence. He picks dogs. The two kids email back and forth, and Dennis finds the details he needs. The book finishes with Dennis’ essay, and the results, an A! Plus…both kids get the dog they wanted. What could be better! Teachers, kids, and parents will love this book, especially if you’re picking out your own perfect dog!
Amazon says these are the high notes of Darcy’s book:
- A family story about cousins
- Information on dog breeds
- Responsible dog ownership
- Mentor-text for teaching writing
- Model opinion essay for elementary students
- Models the writing process, especially the importance of pre-writing or planning before you write
- Completes the writing process by showing the results of Dennis’s essay
Plus, if you like this book, read on! Darcy has two more!